Thursday, November 30, 2006

Deal of the year!!!!

I recently had a procedure done, but I am doing okay with no real recovery problems so far. The procedure I am speaking of is the dreaded "Cashendectomy". The process of removing a large sum of money from my checking account that is spent on an uneccessary item. I have spoken of this before.

The item this year is the XBox 360 Platinum bundle. At a retail of $399.99, this a major expenditure. But come on, you do see the title of the post and knowing me as you do, dear readers, you must realize that there is no way I am paying that much. We purchased 2 items, The Xbox and a Vonage phone adapter. Our out of pocket was $280. We have $150 in rebates to submit, bringing our total down to $130. I know that you are wondering how we did that. Well, I will tell you. Microcenter (Disneyland for Geeks) was having a special where if you buy a 360 you get a $100 rebate, they also had a promo that if you sign up for Vonage, you get $200 off your purchase of $199 or more, and there are 2 rebates for the phone adapter making it free.

I generally will not sign up for a service in order to get a discount. You end up spending more for the service than the discount and this is true with the Vonage service, it is a year contract. The only reason I agreed was because we were planning to sign up for Vonage in January. We have a cable modem already and we do not have a home phone. We are strictly cell, but wanted to finally get a house line again. So, why not jump on it now and get the $200. Halo 3 will be coming out soon and when that happens Justin will be climbing the walls to get one. So this way we save a bunch of money on something we would eventually be buying.

I was tempted to make him wait to open it until Christmas. While the thought of torturing him that way is mildly appealing, it is just too mean. So, I will be wrapping the box for under the tree and he has promised to act surprised for photos. Luckily, I still have a few little surprises for him this year.

2 comments:

The Mama said...

That's awesome!!

We don't have a home line either. We don't really miss it at all, but if we ever to get a home line again I think we will also get Vonage or something similar. It seems like a pretty good deal.

Coupon Chris said...

Cell reception in DeKalb is not the greatest. Sometimes we just have no signal at all. With a toddler around, I feel safer at least knowing I won't have to worry about having a signal to call 911.

It's 24.99/month for unlimited local and long distance. We already have the cable modem, so why not. It will also be nice not to have to worry about minutes and call people before 9pm CST when my free minutes start.